Mittwoch, 30. Mai 2007

Íf Liberty triumphs, Millionnaire will be back on next week´

It may nor may not have made the headlines back home, but Venezuela is undergoing a considerable degree of turmoil at the moment, principally caused by the government´s decision to close down RCTV (Radio Caracas Television- strange name) on the grounds that it supported a coup attempt in 2002 and frequently incites violence and unrest. To some extent, I think these claims are justified - indeed, the executives of the station met very closely with the coup leaders at the time and broadcast instructions and encouragement to anti-government demonstrators, refusing to screen scenes of pro-Chavez protests or to broadcast the news that he had been released from military custody and had resumed power. On the other hand, savage criticism has been made in the international press of the impact upon freedom of speech and the right to criticise.

Notwithstanding this, last Sunday - the last day before RCTV´s broadcast license expires - was an orgy of self-pitying promotion. Cheesy taglines like ´if liberty triumphs, Milionario (yes, their version of Who Wants to be A Millionnaire´) will be back on Wednesday´were broadcast, interspersed with clips of hilariously bad variety shows from the 60s to underline the station´s imposing presence in Venezuelan cultural history. Ever-mindful of contractual obligations, they continued to screen commercial breaks well into their last hour.

Now, clearly the question of the potential anti-democratic implications of deeply politicised and highly concentrated media power is a crucial one, and its not going to be answered today, since I am typing furiously in an internet cafe just by the Plaza de Chacaito, where large crowds are massing for another protest and I expect the place to be closed soon. These protests have the happy side effect of getting me half-days all this week, since all classes are cancelled by my employers. This is a plus, since I am getting paid for doing no work. On the other hand, it does impede my attempts to find a flat, which I need to do by Saturday. So it´s all somewhat inconvenient.

The protests have been largely peaceful from what I have seen, and the police have taken a reasonably restrained approach at least during the day, but there have been reports of the use of tear gas and rubber bullets at night. IN the area where I am temporarily staying, El LLanito, locals are showing their disapproval of the government´s actions by banging on saucepans, ringing bells, and knocking spoons against the gates of their apartment buildings (yes, its a gated community).
This gave me the horrible feeling that I had strayed into some kind of Latin Belfast.

Once I learn more Spanish, I´ll be able to tell you more about what TVES (Venezuelan Social Television, or RCTV´s replacement) is saying. If it lasts that long - my sixth sense is telling me that the government may have misjudged the balance of forces rather badly on this occasion.

1 Kommentar:

Rob Marrs hat gesagt…

Hi Niall,

Good start! My blog is rubbish at the moment (I'm involved with another blog - top secret!) but have put a link to yours in my 'Blogging Chums' section.

Hope all is well over there, matey.

Ta

Rob