Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2007

How to torture small animals.

I might have mentioned the two little dogs I live with. They are approximately the same size and shape as the two china dogs that used to sit on Granny´s mantlepiece. I´d quite like to see these two stuffed and mounted on a mantlepiece, personally. They are the bane of my life at present. Very spoiled, their owner treats him like his children, and they never get outside (because we live in a gated community, of course) so they are bored as well all day. They own the house, and bark savagely at me whenever I come in, whenever I leave my room, whenever I try and sit down on the sofa (which is their territory). PLus, and this is one of those ´cultural differences´ that I can´t manage to leap over, the owner is apparently happy to allow them to shit on the balcony. At least it´s on newspaper, but the newspaper doesnt seem to get changed for weeks, and so I don´t feel able to go out on the balcony without shoes. (apologies for mentioning this, gentle readers)

Unfortunately, however, as they never go outside and as the balcony has a kind of fence thing enclosing it, chances of them meeting a nasty accident are minimal. So, in order to strike back, I had to be more subtle. Remembering how highly developed a dog´s sense of smell is, I decided to cook a delicious piece of steak and slowly savour eating it at the big table, just out of their reach. Oh, they liked me then, of course. Instead of barking,they developed the ingratiating little whine all dogs have, and tried to put their forepaws up on my knee. They looked as endearing as they could, which isn´t very endearing. Beef is very nice here (the government has an oil-for-cows deal with Argentina) and I don´t think they get very much, since their diet from what I can see in their bowl consists mainly of dry crackers.

Nothing doing however. I finished it, slowly, and went back to my room. Depending on
how they behave this afternoon, I might do it again tonight.



We do have some nice animals in the complex though. There´s a big multicoloured parrot in a cage just outside my door, though he doesn´t talk or move much... and a colony of tortoises that live on the wall next to the little garden. Reminds me of our college tortoise in Oxford. Ah, memories.

3 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Hello Niall,
I feel I need to offer un peu de défense for your little canines. Dogs' behaviour reflects their owners. Be grateful that they do use the newspapers on the balcony. The alternative - in quiet corners of the apartment - does not bear thinking about, especially with unshod feet. With regard to their diet, meat could actually upset their digestion (as an almost entirely cracotte-eating dog myself, I speak from bitter experience). But do remember the implications for the balcony.

I don't normally respond to blogs since I write a monthly letter to my old Catenian friends in Morpeth. My commentaries are probably not as exotic as yours but I have an appreciative audience too. Let me know if you would like to receive my letters under the wrap of a plain e-mail. I am always pleased to exchange wisdom with others.

Anonym hat gesagt…

Niall this blog must surely be "Extracts from a Venezuelan summer - or perhaps winter".

Anonym hat gesagt…

Or "Tales from Latin America"