Montag, 11. Juni 2007

Copa America

The most prestigious football tournament of the Americas is starting on the 26th of June and, as luck would have it, some of the worlds´ best players will be coming here to Caracas. Excitement has started to build before the event (it was a side plot in the closure of RCTV - with some claims that the tournament could be affected) and the government seems to be trying to use it to build pan-American unity of some kind. In Plaza Chacaito just outside my work, the government has been stoking the excitement with a series of display tents, one for each participating nation, each bearing the slogan ´Ecuador is America´ and so on as appropriate. The USA´s tent has been stuck in at the end and looks a little lonely with few visitors. The TV in that one hasn´t even been unpacked yet.
Each tent is stocked with some bored looking caraqueños - and they don´t seem to contain much other than photo displays of famous national attractions juxtaposed with pictures of each team in action.

Feeling is that Venezuela may not be rolled over this year as easily as in previous years. Unlike the rest of the continent, football isn´t the number one sport here, but I think the tournament will be great anyway, as, hopefully, lots of thrillseeking Brazilians, Argentinians and maybe even an adventurous gringo descend on the capital. Doubt I´ll get tickets to see Brazil, but i´m hoping all students will cancel classes so we can all watch in on TV together.

It´s the first time i have ever been in the same country as a major football tournament - and best of all, it´s one that England have absolutely no chance of winning! Venceremos!

7 Kommentare:

Aloysius hat gesagt…

Maybe the instructions on your blog site are in German because it was set up by the grandson of a refugee Nazi.............

Mmmm

Anyway, 'nuff of the Blogosphere and back to gardening chores.

Anonym hat gesagt…

Reminiscent of Cookes Letter from America is this! Glad to see you are keeping on the right side of the polis and therefore staying healthy.
Maybe your father will get a computor at a ludicrously low price and send you an email jenny and family send their love pat

wishiwasthinner hat gesagt…

I have just been reading your pithy comments about life in Maracas...Caracas...Niallacas & am hooked! I think you should introduce Dad to the local Polis PDQ & get him to provide a bodyguard service as you seem to be on their radar...secret police watching you 'n a' that!
Perhaps after the Biarritz wedding..... Moira Gibson (the O'Brien's Sister in Law)((the not-so-slim-Moira!))

Aloysius hat gesagt…

Do they play much cricket in Venezuela? I wondered as it is so close to Trinidad.

Dim hat gesagt…

Surely after all of your time spent in the real Irish capital, you weren't that surprised at the ubiquity of the Cork diaspora?
I wouldn't have had you pegged as a man to be too interested in football, but fair enough I suppose...
And incidentally, I tried to seek out this blog before I messaged you, but for some reason your facebook profile wouldn't load yesterday. That, and I expect daily personalised updates...
Hope you're keeping well - keep the blog coming, it's interesting reading.

Dim.

Ben the Wen hat gesagt…

What IS the number one sport in Venezuela? Dwarf throwing? Mud wrestling? Tiddliwinks? I'm in suss pence...

Niall K hat gesagt…

I haven´t heard of much interest in Cricket, but Baseball is very popular here. Some of the Major League US players come down to play here during the off-season, so I´m told.